A lot of us write to-do lists, most of us write food shopping lists and an exuberant few make bucket lists. Checklists are short, sharp and sweet and come in handy for all types of things – even buying your next home.
Before commencing the search to buy a new home it’s important to know what you want, otherwise you’ll be endlessly attending every open home in the Northern Territory.
Notice we say home, as the criteria will differ somewhat to that of a property for investment.
As a starting point for your checklist we’re giving you the questions to ask to ensure you get the answers you are looking for.
- What community buildings are in the area? Such
as libraries with free memberships for locals.
- Does the local community host free, weekly or monthly events? Free events are a great way to bring the local community together, and also give you and the family a fun day out without the price tag.
- Do you prefer a comprehensive supermarket or the local store for your weekly food shop? Weigh up how important it will be for you to be in close proximity to one or the other, or both.
- Does the area have a local cinema? A must for
date night or keeping the kids busy during school holidays.
- Is there a range of local takeaways, restaurants and bars? Particularly important if you prefer to dine out more often than not.
- Are you planning on having children in the near
future? If so, it may be beneficial to source a location that is in close
proximity to local childcare centres.
- Does the school you have in mind for your children have a catchment restriction for enrolment? If so, you may need to find out which properties are available within that area.
- What hospitals are nearby? Is there a local
- Is there a local chemist? Always handy for the unexpected flu.
- Is the suburb accessible via public transport?
This is particularly important if you have teens or children in high-school.
- What are the main roads like connecting the suburbs to your place of employment? If you’re going to make the daily commute, make sure it’s accessible.
- Is there a gym nearby? You’ll be more inclined
to go to the gym if it’s five minutes down the road rather than a half hour
- What about local sporting clubs? Quite important if you or your kids enjoy team sports.
- Do you have pets or young children? Open, green
space is essential for taking the dog for a walk or for the kids to play.
- Do you enjoy exercising outdoors? If you prefer nature over the gym, having a local outdoor circuit is a must.
- What’s in the pipeline? Ask the local council to
see what projects are planned for the area to ensure there are no surprises
down the track.
- Where there’s infrastructure there’s growth. Even though the home you’re looking for is intended for living rather than investment, chances are one day you will want to sell. Your future house price will benefit from surrounding infrastructure, so it may be in your best interest to find out if your vision is in line with the town planning.
Are you selling property, or looking for professional management for your investment? We’ve successfully sold over 200 properties since 2011, and manage over 300 properties for investors all over the world. Request your complimentary appraisal today.I'd like a…
Our friendly staff are always on hand to help. Get in touch.